Lauterborn Blog Search

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Fairfield Families Developing Cabin Fever

Fairfield Families
Developing Cabin Fever:

Parents and kids endure
another snow day
(Posted to Fairfield.Patch.com 2/1)
By Mike Lauterborn
© 2011. All Rights Reserved.
2/1/11

Fairfield, CT – An early morning weather system deposited another couple of inches of snow and threatened icing conditions later in the day Tuesday, forcing the closure of town schools. The cancellation surprised many Fairfield parents and disappointed children who have developed a case of cabin fever with all their days off.

“I think some of the snow days have been reasonable, but today we could have had school,” said Harry Murphy, 15, a Fairfield Ludlowe High School sophomore. “I was surprised school was canceled, but I was ok with it as I got to sleep late. I’m just hanging out for the afternoon as my mom has work. My sisters have been playing a lot in the snow. My brother and I will probably need to do some shoveling at some point. Snow is nice to have on the ground, but not the ice and sleet. It can be dangerous, especially for drivers.”

For Pam Murphy, the day created some challenges and unrest at home. “Cole (Murphy’s 14-year-old son) is doing some drawing and Sam (16) just got up, showered and plopped down in front of the TV. He started complaining when I asked him to shovel the back deck. I’d seen a report that it can separate from the house and collapse under all the snow and ice and I thought it would be an effective use of his free time. After all, he does live here. He didn’t agree. We’re scheduled to get Cole’s braces off today, and then hair appointments up in Ridgefield. I’m debating doing the latter given the icy roads.”

Up on Woods End Road, Ann Kubel was just trying to keep it together with a house full of rugrats. “I’m sick of the snow and I’d rather the kids were in school. The house is filled with not only my own kids but also the neighbor kids. This is the house to be at apparently. They go out, get soaking wet, the clothes go in the dryer, they go back out again, they’re on the Wii screaming. It’s a madhouse. Now I’m feeding everybody lunch and they’ve asked for cookies. I’ll do that then I’m done!”

Kubel added, “The way Fairfield has been calling things, I knew it would be no school or nothing versus a delay, as it was going to be an early dismissal day anyhow due to professional development. Personally, as I have to be home with them, I’m catching up on some house chores that I needed to do. That’s the only good thing about this situation. And it looks like I’ll be doing it tomorrow, too.”

In the Beach Area, Maryann Dolzani was multi-tasking, juggling mom and work tasks. “I’m home but working from home. Elliot (her 9-year-old son) is at a neighbor’s house and Spencer (6) has a buddy over playing. Seeing that the snow stopped and there’s not much going on, I was surprised school was called. The forecast had predicted more of an event though, so I understand why they called it. I feel bad for the kids. It’s fun to be off but I think they miss some of the school activities.”

Benny Ortiz, 7, was happy to be off but running out of things to do. “I have another day off. I’m getting kind of tired of it. I want to get school over with. I just went over to my grandpa’s house, now I’m playing with my little toy.”

Benny’s mom, Pam, who was home from work to watch Benny, was more concerned about how her son’s vacation days were being whittled down. “What’s unnerving to me is the school’s plan to start taking spring vacation days away. I really think they should take the days from the February vacation. I think we should be able to vote on it. I’d rather have the time off when the weather is good. The kids are really getting behind on instructional time this winter. It’s a lot to try and make up for.”

No comments:

Post a Comment